Friday, December 23, 2011

'Good' Job NS Planners


I both like and dislike this time of the year. I am stressed just going to town. The roads are jammed, the queues are long and nothing gets done because people look like they are working but they are just faking it.

I am a terrible procrastinator and I work only when stressed. Would you believe me if I told you I still haven't done my shopping except for the turkeys and the only thing I've made so far is my traditional Christmas cake? Yet I have plans to make panettone, host 3 dinners in one week and am preparing to send my son off for national service on 1/1/12. We just got the prep pack from the Ministry/whoever two days ago, that's how competent they are. Why did they send the pack so late and during this period when nothing gets done--my son has to open a bank account, get a medical check up and report done, get all documents and personal items ready and there are all those holidays between now and 1/1. For CNY, the NS trainees get 5 days off. Yeah, thanks for the break and consideration about family reunions but better planning would be welcome because the air tickets have all gone up. It will cost over RM1200 to get my son home for what will effectively be 3 days of holidays, with time lost travelling from Rawang to KLIA to KK and back. And where the heck is Rawang? Why do the trainees have to be sent across the seas since they will be isolated in a camp anyway? I'd rather pay less for my food, my utilities bills and taxes than have my son sent to Rawang to get up at 5 am to learn to make his own bed. I wish it will but 2 1/2 months will not make a soldier out of him. It's time to rethink the NS program. Does the program really benefit the trainees for life or just for 10 weeks? If it is life-changing, it should be compulsory for all young people. If it isn't for all, then it is an unnecessary program and is being done just for the sake of doing. Continuing with the program just because it's implemented ages ago doesn't merit the expenses. I am for anything that will instill discipline and good habits in my kids but I doubt NS will make an iota of difference. The only thing it will do is make my son miss home. I hope.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is NS compulsory in Malaysia? I didn't know that. Since when? And how long do they have to serve?

terri@adailyobsession said...

yes it is but the trainees are picked randomly. both my sons got picked. they serve 10 weeks. the older boy got temporary exemption bc he left for college. the younger one..he's not sure what he wants to do so ns is a good option.

Blur Ting said...

I was about the ask the same question. Now I know the answer. Take comfort that it is only for 10 weeks. Mine will be going in next year. And the other, in 3 years' time. :-(

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

I didn't realize there's such a thing as NS in Malaysia. What silly timing but then again, we're talking about the Malaysian government so what else is new.

Paul. said...

You could always say that you'll have Wey do the NS when he comes back from his studies. Include a college acceptance letter and they'll postpone it to 3 years later or something like that. By that time, they'll probably have forgotten about it.
I think I told him this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...